Connect with us

Security updates Nigeria

Lakurawa Terrorists Kill 7 Nigerian Soldiers in Sokoto Attack

Published

on

Image by DocuNews Central: Lakurawa Terrorists Kill 7 Nigerian Soldiers in Sokoto Attack

By Jonadab | Published by DocuNews Central May 19, 2026

Seven Nigerian soldiers and one civilian were killed after suspected Lakurawa terrorists ambushed troops in Sokoto State. The attack happened after a military vehicle reportedly developed a mechanical fault while troops were returning from an operation targeting a terrorist hideout.

According to security and local sources, the soldiers had earlier launched an offensive against suspected Lakurawa fighters near Runji village in Illela Local Government Area. Reports said the troops initially recorded operational success before the situation changed during their return movement.

Advertisement

On May 17, 2026, in Runji village near Illela in Sokoto State, the troops came under heavy attack after one of their vehicles broke down along the route. That mechanical failure reportedly delayed their withdrawal and exposed them to an ambush.

According to DocuNews Central, multiple independent reports confirmed that the attackers regrouped after the earlier military raid and followed the soldiers before launching the deadly assault.

Also read Peter Obi Stands Unopposed as NDC Sole Presidential Aspirant

Where Did It Happen?

The ambush happened in Runji village, located about 10 kilometres from Illela in Sokoto State.

Advertisement

The area sits close to Nigeria’s northwestern border corridor, where armed groups have increased movements in recent months. Security officials have repeatedly identified border communities as vulnerable routes for armed infiltration.

Who Is Involved?

The victims were personnel of Nigerian Army attached to Operation FANSAN YAMMA, the ongoing counter-terrorism operation in northwest Nigeria.

The attackers were identified by local and security sources as suspected members of the Lakurawa terrorist group. The group has been linked to several violent attacks across northwestern Nigeria.

A civilian guide assisting the soldiers through the terrain was also killed during the ambush.

Advertisement

How the Attack Happened

Sources said troops had launched an earlier raid using three military vehicles. That operation targeted a suspected Lakurawa camp and reportedly inflicted casualties on the armed group.

However, while the soldiers were returning to base, one vehicle developed a mechanical fault. Some troops reportedly stopped to repair it.

Security sources said the attackers then mobilised on motorcycles. Reports estimated around 30 motorcycles carrying heavily armed fighters approached the area.

A gun battle followed. Witnesses said the exchange lasted for some time before communications from the unit were lost.

Advertisement

Another local account stated that some troops had abandoned the damaged vehicle and began trekking toward base with help from a local civilian guide when the ambush occurred.

Military Response

A senior military source confirmed that casualties were recorded during the incident. The officer said reinforcements were immediately deployed to the area.

According to the source, intelligence-led operations are ongoing to track and neutralise those responsible.

The military has not yet publicly released the names of the fallen soldiers. Officials said families would be informed first.

Advertisement

Security Situation in Sokoto

Sokoto State has seen repeated attacks linked to the Lakurawa group in recent months. Security agencies have increased operations across forest zones and border communities.

Earlier this month, troops reportedly killed suspected Lakurawa members during another operation in Tangaza Local Government Area.

Authorities say pressure on armed groups has increased, but remote terrain continues to create operational challenges.

Official Comment

A senior military officer, speaking anonymously because he was not authorised to speak publicly, described the incident as a “regrettable casualty” and confirmed that tactical reinforcements had been deployed.

Advertisement

According to DocuNews Central, officials have urged the public to avoid spreading unverified casualty numbers while operations continue.

Why This Matters

The attack highlights the operational risks troops face during routine withdrawal after combat missions. Mechanical failures during hostile-area movement can create immediate vulnerabilities.

Security experts say insurgent groups increasingly exploit delayed withdrawals and damaged military equipment to stage revenge attacks.

The Sokoto ambush is another reminder of the security pressure facing Nigeria’s northwest region.

Advertisement

for more Security Updates Visit Security updates Nigeria

Source references: Punch Nigeria, The Guild NG, Trust Radio

Advertisement
Spread the love
        
 
 
          
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

google.com, pub-3796135361283239, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0