Connect with us

SOCIAL ISSUES & PROTEST

Teacher’s Killing Sparks Calls for Tinubu’s Resignation

Published

on

Image by DocuNews Central: Teacher’s Killing Sparks Calls for Tinubu’s Resignation

By Jonadab | DocuNews Central May 20, 2026

The killing of an abducted school teacher in Oyo State has triggered fresh public outrage across Nigeria. As a result, renewed concerns have emerged over the country’s worsening security crisis. This teacher’s Killing Sparks Calls for Tinubu’s Resignation

The teacher was among several victims kidnapped after armed attackers stormed schools in Esiele community, located in Oriire Local Government Area. During the attack, staff members, pupils, and students were taken away by gunmen.

On May 18, 2026, in Oriire Local Government Area, Oyo State, Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that one of the abducted teachers had been killed. According to state officials, a video received by authorities appeared to confirm the death.

Advertisement

Following that confirmation, national attention shifted quickly toward the broader issue of insecurity. Consequently, criticism intensified against the federal government’s handling of repeated abductions and rural attacks.

Where Did It Happen?

The incident happened in Esiele community, a rural area in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, southwestern Nigeria.

The affected schools included Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School. Local residents said the attack caused widespread fear throughout nearby communities.

Who Is Involved?

The victims included teachers, schoolchildren, and local residents. Security agencies, including the Nigeria Police Force and intelligence units, later launched rescue operations.

Advertisement

Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed the killing publicly after an emergency security meeting. Meanwhile, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu condemned the murder and described it as “barbaric.”

Federal Government Responds

President Tinubu said the federal government would work closely with Oyo State authorities to secure the release of the remaining victims.

According to a presidential statement issued by presidential adviser Bayo Onanuga, security agencies had already intensified efforts. In addition, tactical and intelligence teams were deployed immediately.

The President also renewed his support for the creation of state police. According to him, recent kidnapping cases have made local policing reforms increasingly urgent.

Advertisement

Also read 175 ISIS Fighters Killed in Nigeria-US Counterterror Raid

Public Reaction Grows

Although the President condemned the attack, public frustration continued to grow. Across social media and civil society circles, many Nigerians demanded stronger security action.

Some critics argued that repeated attacks on schools show a deeper national security failure. Therefore, renewed calls emerged asking the President to take direct political responsibility.

Several commentators linked the latest outrage to earlier insecurity debates. As a result, online calls for accountability spread quickly after news of the teacher’s death became public.

Advertisement

Teachers Protest in Oyo

On Monday, teachers in Ogbomoso suspended classroom activities and staged peaceful protests.

They demanded the immediate rescue of all abducted victims. Furthermore, they called for stronger school security measures to protect staff and students.

Protesters carried placards demanding government action. Many also asked authorities to secure rural schools more effectively.

Security Experts Raise Concerns

Security analysts say attacks on rural schools have become a recurring national threat. Because many communities remain under-policed, kidnappers often exploit weak security coverage.

Advertisement

Experts also warn that delayed response times increase risks for victims. Therefore, they continue urging faster intelligence-led interventions.

Official Comments

Governor Seyi Makinde said his administration would continue working until every remaining victim is rescued safely.

President Tinubu stated that the perpetrators and their collaborators would face the full weight of the law.

According to DocuNews Central, the latest incident has again placed Nigeria’s internal security architecture under intense national scrutiny.

Advertisement

How This Report Was Verified

This report was prepared through cross-verification of official government statements and multiple independent Nigerian news sources.

Primary details were confirmed through reporting by Punch, Channels Television, and Premium Times. Statements from the presidency and Oyo State officials were also reviewed before publication.

Outbound sources: Punch | Channels TV | Premium Times

Advertisement
Spread the love
        
 
 
          
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

google.com, pub-3796135361283239, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0