Security updates Nigeria
Defence Headquarters Establishes Contact With Oyo School Abductors

By Jonadab
Publisher: DocuNews Central
May 20, 2026
Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters has confirmed that troops have established contact with the abductors responsible for the recent school attack in Oyo State. Security forces said the contact was made during ongoing operations aimed at locating and rescuing the abducted pupils and school staff.
Military authorities also rejected reports suggesting that terrorists have established a permanent operational base in Southwest Nigeria. According to the military, the Oyo school attack was an isolated criminal act and not evidence of an entrenched insurgent network in the region.
The incident happened on 2026-05-15 in Oriire Local Government Area, Oyo State, Nigeria, where armed attackers raided multiple schools and abducted students and teachers.
According to DocuNews Central, the military said troops made direct contact with the kidnappers two days before the official announcement and have continued coordinated operations across forest corridors linked to the suspects.
Also read Nigerian Army Raids Owan, Esan Forests, Nabs 13 Kidnap Suspects
What Happened in Oyo State?
Gunmen attacked schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State. During the raid, they abducted pupils and several members of school staff.
The affected schools included Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Yawota, Community Grammar School in Ahoro-Esinele, and L.A. Primary School.
Security officials said the attack triggered immediate military and multi-agency operations across the area. Search teams were deployed into nearby forests believed to be used as escape routes by the abductors.
Troops are now conducting sustained rescue operations with support from intelligence units and local security groups.
Where Did It Happen?
The attack occurred in Oriire Local Government Area, located in Oyo State, southwest Nigeria.
The affected communities lie within a corridor connected to forest routes often exploited by criminal gangs during kidnapping operations.
Military officials said those forest routes remain under active surveillance as rescue efforts continue.
Who Is Involved?
The Defence Headquarters is leading the military response through the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
Major General Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, issued the official update on the operation.
Chief of Defence Staff Olufemi Oluyede also addressed the attack and described it as callous and reprehensible.
He assured families that every available military resource is being deployed to secure the safe return of the victims.
Military Rejects Southwest Terror Base Claims
Following the attack, reports emerged suggesting that insurgents had created a terrorist base in Southwest Nigeria.
The Defence Headquarters has now formally denied that claim.
Military intelligence, according to officials, shows no evidence of any permanent or structured terrorist camp operating in the forests or hinterlands of the Southwest.
Authorities stressed that isolated criminal attacks should not be mistaken for an established insurgent presence.
Statement From Defence Headquarters
Major General Michael Onoja said the military had earlier conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park area.
According to him, those previous operations significantly weakened criminal elements operating in that corridor.
He added that current intelligence does not support claims of a permanent terrorist structure in the region.
The military also warned against spreading misinformation capable of causing public panic.
Comment From Security Leadership
Chief of Defence Staff Olufemi Oluyede condemned the attack and expressed sympathy to affected families, the Oyo State Government, and residents.
He said the Armed Forces remain committed to securing the unconditional release of every abducted victim.
He urged citizens to remain calm and support security agencies with credible information.
Ongoing Rescue Operations
Troops remain deployed across multiple forest corridors linked to the kidnappers’ movement.
Military teams are working alongside other security agencies and community-based vigilante groups.
Officials said local intelligence has become critical to locating the abducted victims quickly.
Authorities believe continued pressure may force the abductors into mistakes that can aid rescue efforts.
National Security Concerns Continue
School attacks remain one of Nigeria’s major security concerns.
Over recent years, multiple states have recorded similar abductions targeting students and educational institutions.
Security experts say improved intelligence sharing and faster tactical deployment remain essential.
Government agencies have continued reviewing security around vulnerable schools nationwide.
According to DocuNews Central
According to DocuNews Central, Defence Headquarters has framed the Oyo incident as a criminal kidnapping case rather than an insurgency expansion.
Military officials insist that rescue efforts remain active and that troops are maintaining pressure on the abductors.
Authorities say the operation will continue until every victim is safely recovered.
Relevant Sources
TheCable
Punch Nigeria
PRNigeria
